Monday, August 17, 2015



“Get well soon” Kelvin Haizel ©2015

The power was out and the room was even darker with the indigo bed sheet, so I went to bed early. While I slept deeply I felt the phone vibrate from under my pillow. I picked the call but could barely hear a word. After 22seconds the connection got terminated. The time was 22:41pm on Sunday 16th august 2015. The vibration came through again at 22:42pm for 2minutes and this time I could hear his frail voice; “aaare yu awake? Yes Paa, I responded. He went on, “would you call me back after some time, my voice seems to be leaving me, and it feels finished”. Suddenly I felt cold and my palm and feet wouldn’t stop oozing sweat either. I kept turning in bed for the next two hours thinking of the worse but hoping for the best simultaneously.
 I called back after sometime. My phone records tell me; 00:48 Cancelled Call, 00:48 Cancelled Call 00:49 Cancelled Call
My heart kept pounding as I turned in bed more frequently in the now pool of sweat.  The phone vibrated again for the last time in the dark hours of this daunting morning. 01:00 Incoming call. He said in a rather assuring tone of voice this time, “sorry I the phone was on charge. I’m better now. I needed to know if my speaking ability is still there.”  My response was “that’s good to know”. He said “good night then, may the lord watch over you”. 

"Untitled:get well soon I" 
Digital photograph 49.28 x 29.55 in.  2015
©Kelvin Haizel

 "Untitled:get well soon II" 
Digital photograph 49.28 x 29.55 in.  2015
©Kelvin Haizel

"Untitled:get well soon III" 
Digital photograph 49.28 x 29.55 in.  2015
©Kelvin Haizel

11 comments:

  1. Creative and interesting piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I was reading this piece I found myself getting a bit nervous and becoming tense for you, waiting for what the end result would be "thinking of the worse but hoping for the best simultaneously", because I know that you share a close bond with him.

    I also find it interesting that at the end after he said he was feeling better all you said was "that's good to know", as if you weren't a nervous wreck for about two hours. Not blaming you though, because I've been known to act the same way in similar situations.

    More life to Papa Haizel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you knw! It was a way of suggesting calm for that moment even though you might have been sweating profusely just seconds before. The one thing I've been asked about is regarding the images. I collected all the medicine (both orthodox and traditional) from his room, and created an installation from them. The photography works documents fractions of the installation. The various medicines are symbolic of hope, desperation and exploitation. where do these three converge or overlap? t what extent would you say one is being hopeful of a solution? And to what extent would you say one is desperate for a solution? And the extent to which one's hope for a solution opens them up to be exploited?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the clarification concerning the images. I actually wondered where you got all of those pills and bottles from and whom they belonged to. I suspected that they were his but refrained from questioning you, perhaps because I didn't want to think or believe that one person could potentially be taking that much medicine.

      I think of all the work I've seen you produce that this one is my favorite thus far. I like the concept, it resonates with me (for reasons I won't be explaining here).

      Delete
  5. I really appreciate it Brenda. And I can imagine why you wouldn't be able to explain on here. As much as it is a very personal project, I understand that we share a common humanity regardless of our different geographies.Thus we can relate to the subject collectively through our individual experiences. Let's talk when you have a minute. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really appreciate it Brenda. And I can imagine why you wouldn't be able to explain on here. As much as it is a very personal project, I understand that we share a common humanity regardless of our different geographies.Thus we can relate to the subject collectively through our individual experiences. Let's talk when you have a minute. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! Just let me know when you're available Mr. Busy. :)

      Delete

  A Troublesome Inheritance  " Beautiful Diaspora/ You are Not the Lesser Part” Curated by Asha Iman Veal "A Troublesome Inheritan...